Computer Use Policy
From Reforge Charleston
The following rules apply to use of tools, equipment and computers within the MakerSpace and supplement facility and safety policies.
- Use of computing resources is a privilege that depends on individuals using the resources appropriately and in accordance with facility policies and local, state, and federal laws. These laws and policies cover such areas as illegal access to computer systems, networks, and files, copyright, and harassment issues.
- At times, the demand for equipment and computer usage could exceed availability. You are asked to be sensitive to the needs of others and limit equipment and computer use during times of heavy demand. The MakerSpace may take additional steps to regulate equipment and computer use, such as requiring reservations and setting time limits.
- Users should demonstrate respect for individuals’ rights to privacy and freedom from intimidation or harassment. You are asked to be sensitive to the fact that some on-screen images, sounds, or messages create an atmosphere of intimidation or harassment for others. The MakerSpace may take steps to maintain an environment conducive to its intended uses.
- Use of computers for recreational purposes such as game playing deters others from using these workstations for their intended purposes to support design and fabrication activities. The MakerSpace may intervene to ensure optimal access to computers for these purposes.
- We welcome the use of laptops and other personal computing devices in the MakerSpace. Users may connect personal equipment only to the wireless network, or to ports designated for such use. Use of personal equipment, such as extension, adaptor, or power cords must not pose a safety hazard for others.
Users who fail to comply with these policies may have access privileges suspended or revoked.